Happy Earth Day, all!
In honour of all things earth, lets talk what we can do to combine our love of yoga with our love of this wondrous host that sustains us.
1. Get outside with your mat. OK, so it still might only be slightly above freezing in some parts (ahem. mine.), but I bet it warms up some by this afternoon. Even if it’s just a quick sun salute out on the lawn… bring your practice closer to the soil on this special day!
2. Walking meditation. Find a favourite spot outside, take off your shoes, and walk it. Back and forth, with method and deliberation. Feel the sensations in your feet: every grab of your toes, the pressure in your heels. Breathe deeply. Welcome thoughts as you patiently dismiss them. Yes, to your neighbours, you’ll sort of look like a victim of the bodysnatchers, but who cares?! They’ll have no idea what they’re missing and you’ll feel invigorated by the experience!
3. Sitting meditation. Again… find a favourite spot outdoors, arrange your preferred seat, and sit. Be. ‘Nuff said.
4. Get outside with the kids. There is nothing to ground you to our Mother, like fully embracing that within yourself. Even with the screaming, crying and whining… OK, maybe that’s just my brood.
5. Unplug for mercy’s sake. Turn off the God-awful tube, X-Box, PS, wii, computer (… yeah. right.) Nothing says we love you Earth, like conserving a little energy and getting people away from screens gets everybody expending a little for a change.
6. Today… water is for drinking. Take a break from flushing, washing, watering.
7. Sit down with your family and make a “Conservation Commitment”. Talk about some ways you all can impact the Earth less, why it’s so important and sign a contract that seals the deal.
8. For this day, as you move about your daily lives, keep conservation in your consciousness. When I approach the fridge and grab for something, I like to ask, “does this really nourish me?” Same goes for your activities today, “Does this help or hurt?”
It’s a beautiful, wonderful day. Thank Earth.